October 24, 2011

Igneous Petrology!

We've got our Mid-term exams for Igneous Petrology on Friday. Spent some time in the Petrology lab, in hopes of some last-minute mineral sightings, but instead we spent the whole time gossiping and taking pictures. All is not lost, I managed to snap a few mineral textures before leaving. (:

I'm still in the process of getting the right camera angle to snap these, so a few of them (most of them) might be a little bit (or a lot) off center. 

P/S: I completely forgot to take note of the labels of each slide, but I do remember that the last one is from Pyroxenite. My bad. I'm sorry. But on the bright side, check out the textures! That should be a little bit of help. Hahaa

Here are the pictures! (: 
[Click on the pictures to view them in another tab to see each individual texture more clearly. 
I know my blog background is... quite distracting. Susah nak nampak. Hahaa. :D]


Aphanitic, probably hypohialine (or hypocrystalline?)
The matrix is made of plagioclase.
Can you identify the minerals making up the phenocrysts?
 
GARNET! Inside what I think is pyroxene. But that black,
almost hexagonal blob is definitely garnet.

Plagioclase embedded in pyroxene.
Subophitic or Intergranular?
What do you think?

This one, I know is definitely from Dacite.
(because this specimen is weathered beyond recognition. Hahaa)
Based on what's left, I's say those hexagons are olivine!

Corona texture.
There's something surrounding the olivine crystals!
Hint: The frame is always something lower than the framed mineral
in the Bowen's Series.

Pyroxene in Pyroxenite.
The major component in Pyroxenite is obviously, pyroxene.
Not everything with major cracks and pretty colours are olivine!
Don't be fooled (:

Igneous petrology is really beautiful. Can't wait to start on Sedimentary Petrology soon.
Wish us the best of luck for our Igneous Petrology mid-term exam!

(:

2 comments:

Liza said...

Gd luck! U shld be a tutor ...

SUSU. said...

Awww, thanks Mama! Maybe I should tutor. Who knows? (: