October 10, 2013

"Can you swim?"

"Hello, may I speak to Miss Suraya Hilmi Hazim?" said the voice over the phone as I lay down in front of the TV. I thought it was one of those annoying telemarketers, so I replied with an unenthusiastic "Yeah, this is she."

"Hi, I'm calling from Schlumberger. We received your application, and we were wondering if you were still interested in joining us."

That's when I sat up straight and turned off the TV.

That's how it all began.

These past two weeks have been somewhat emotionally draining for me. Deciding on your future is not an easy task. Not at all. But that's not what this post is about, I'll save the emotional rant for another day. This post will be your window into the obscure world that is the Schlumberger selection process. Also known as the multi-staged-interview-of-doom. Haha

PART 1
Group Screening
Schlumberger's Next Employee: The Reality TV Show
1st October 2013

Like all other Schlumberger interviews (I think) all candidates were brought up to the 16th floor of the East Wing of Rohas Perkasa, KL. Upon registering at the front desk, our attendance was taken and we were asked to put on name tags in front and... on the back (ala Running Man. Haha) to make it easier for the HR crew to know who's who.

But make no mistake, I was ready to tear off someone else's name tag if it was necessary. Haha

There were 13 of us in this group, I think. 3 boys, the rest were girls. We had Masters students, fresh graduates and graduates-to-be (my batch-mates, 5 of us). As mentioned in the agenda e-mailed to us, we were to listen to a short introduction about the company before proceeding with other group activities. This is the part where the HR will throw his sales pitch to try to get you to join the company! Haha. But pay close attention if you're keen on joining the company. You can learn a lot from this short intro.

After the short introduction and some Q&A, the candidates are given the floor. Time for ice-breaking!


The HR had asked us to prepare this beforehand. So, each candidate is given 3 minutes (and 3 minutes only!) to introduce his/herself and tell everyone 3 of his/her strengths and weaknesses and lastly, why he/she would like to be a part of Schlumberger. (3 minutes is not that long. I got cut short half-way through telling everyone my last point. Haha.)

After the ice-breaking session, we were broken down into two groups for our group activity. I'm sure most of you have read about the various group activities they have (and it usually involves the use of paper. Haha). The HR staff will provide you with a task, and you have to complete it as a group. Simple. It's crucial at this point to show how you're able to communicate in a group and stuff like that. Whether you beat the other team or not (my team lost! Haha) doesn't matter. Teamwork and communication, that's what's important.

Now it's time for the judges HR staff to deliberate.

"Those whose names I call, stay in this room. Those whose names I do not call, consider yourself unsuccessful. You may re-apply in 6 months." He literally went all Tyra Banks on us!

Well, minus handing out our pictures of course.
And then there were 8.

We said our goodbyes to those who did not make the cut. As soon as they left, the HR staff handed out our individual schedules for the one-on-one interview sessions.

PART 2
One-on-one Interview Sessions
(Getting To Know You Better)
1st October 2013

Each candidate got half-an-hour each. This interview was more of a get-to-know-you session more than anything. The HR person-in-charge will try to pick at your brains, try to see if your character suits what the company is looking for. He will check your credentials, go through your resume and sort out a bunch of other formalities.

"We'll contact you in 2 to 3 weeks. Thank you."

It did not take them 2 to 3 weeks at all in my case.

On October the 3rd...

Sorry, this just crossed my mind. Had to put it up. Mean Girls movie reference!

On October the 3rd, they rang me up and told me that I made it through to the next round.

PART 3
Technical Interview
(Getting To Know What You Know)
10th October 2013

The first two parts of the interview pretty much played on character alone, nothing technical. Well, they saved that one for this part of the interview.

I was being interviewed for the position of Marine Geophysicist under WesternGeco, so they took me down to Level 8 to meet my interviewers (yes, plural). But before I could sit down with my interviewers, I was taken to another room to watch a few introductory videos about life on board a seismic vessel. The lady showing me the video had spent 9 years as part of the vessel's crew. I got the chance to ask her a few questions. Then, the test came.

Yes, I had to sit for a 45-minute test comprising of geology and geophysics questions. Don't worry, this paper is not an exam. This is just their way of measuring your competency at geology or geophysics. So, in my case, my geology is stronger than my geophysics - hence more blanks in the geophysics section. Haha. But it's good, in a sense that at least they know where your academic strengths and weaknesses lie, and how to build on it to make you a better employee.

What's this? What's that? Define this. Define that. Haha

After the test, I was brought to see my interviewers. Bear in mind that the interviewers do not expect you to know everything. They are looking to see you as a person. It doesn't matter if you don't know something, what matters is your will to learn. But never walk in empty-headed. If you want the job, prove that you want it by reading about it before going for the interview.

They threw a bunch of situations my way, looking to see how I would respond to each situation. As I was offered to work aboard a seismic vessel with a 5-3-2 rotation schedule (with a 12-hour shift daily) throughout my fixed-step training programme, they asked a lot of questions:

"Will you be willing to work in this kind of lifestyle?"
"Are you a mall girl? Do you like shopping?"
"Can you swim like... from this end to that end?"
"What do you think about living with a bunch of Caucasian men?"
"Do you think you'll be able to handle the different accents?"
"Will you go full on vegetarian on board? What will you eat?"
"Will you be willing to skip your graduation to join us?"
"Or have you tailored your kebaya already?"

Hahahahaha. Me? Kebaya? 

So, funny questions aside - the interviewers had their reasons for asking as such. They needed to know if I really wanted this job, if I was able to keep up with the lifestyle, if I was going to handle the culture shock well. The interviewers are not looking to shoot you down. As employers, they have their best interest in their employees and they want to be sure that you're making the right choice, as are they. They're doing you a big favour actually, especially if you suddenly feel like the job you're applying for is not the job for you.

After an hour plus, the interview was over. They informed me that they would deliberate and call me later if I made the cut.

To be honest, I hadn't even considered working for Schlumberger before this. Ever. The only reason I submitted my application was because everyone else was doing so (all my batch-mates are in job-application-frenzy mode), and somehow, by God's will, I was selected. I never thought I would have made it this far into the interview. And by the way the interviewers looked at me in that room, I could somehow tell that they wanted me there. I was going to make it through.

And my gut instinct was right.

Around 6.30 pm today, on the 10th of October, my phone rang. It was the HR Department.

"Congratulations, Suraya! Now all I need is the scanned copies of a few documents before I can process your offer letter."

I fell silent for a split second. Offer letter?

*

Jeng jeng jenggg. Cliff-hanger!


Anyhoo, so what have we (I?) learned from this crazy turn of events?

1) Be yourself. Employers want to see you as a person. This was my very first job interview and from what I could tell - the employers are very much interested to see who you are instead of a well-rehearsed robot version of yourself. Just keep things natural. Be confident.

2) You can do whatever you set your mind to do. I had my doubts of even interviewing for a major company like Schlumberger, but someone once told me to do the absolute best in everything that I do. Never do anything half-a**ed (pardon my language.) See how that worked for me? Be optimistic.

3) Believe. Faith does wonders. Sometimes you just gotta let go of the wheel and let fate run its course. God works in mysterious ways. Don't wonder "What If", just do it. There's no harm in trying, after all. If things work out, good for you. If not, at least you've tried. No regrets.

4) Girl-power! Haha. Because people keep saying that girls should stay out of the oil and gas world. Schlumberger practices equal employment. So if you think you have what it takes, go for it. But take note that it's not for the weak hearted - guys or girls (cakap bajet macam dah pernah join oil and gas. Lempang diri sendiri now please. LOL)

*

I'm sure most of you might be asking - "What about your plans for your post-graduate studies?"
That, my friend, requires another post, another time.

To be, or not to be.
That is the question.
Nothing is set in stone just yet. I may or may not take up the offer to work for Schlumberger. After all, I haven't even gotten my offer letter. Haha. (I know some of you might be going "Kau gila ke apa nak reject Schlumberger? Company besar doh. Gaji perghhh." Money's not everything, kids.)

I do pray that I make the best decision when the time comes. Decision-making has never been a friend of mine. I should've taken up that elective : Kemahiran Membuat Keputusan (KMK). Haha. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I'll be in for a crazy roller-coaster ride. (:

Till next time!

P/S: What would YOU choose if you were in my shoes? I'd love to know what you guys think. Drop me a paragraph or two. I look forward to reading them!

P/P/S: Each interview process may differ from one to another, this one's just from my own personal experience.

(:

1 comment:

Mira said...

congrats dear :)