August 30, 2010

1 month.

Can you believe it? I've been here in UKM for over a month! And puasa- well, coming up to almost a month. We're now in the last 10 days of Ramadhan, people! Time to step it up a notch. (:

But that's not the '1 month' this post is about.

It's been exactly 1 month since Azmi - Lil' Geologist, as my family and I call him. Haha -passed away. I miss him. Seriously. More than I thought I would. Maybe it was because this was my first true experience of loss... Maybe it was because it was so sudden? I don't know.

I remember how I got the news, my exact reaction... My mom's reaction... The constant ringing of my phone... How everyone was trying to make sure that I was okay. But let's not dwell on the sad stuff. Let's look back on the good times.

AZMI. (:

Dude, every single time I enter a geological concept class, I subconsciously think of you and how you would enjoy all this so much! I've never met another human being who really wanted this more than I did. Haha. You were a first, and I'm glad that God introduced us. (:

I remember the nights and days we spent together just talking about Geology and nothing else. And I remember the way your face just lights up when I mention even the simplest of geological processes. Granites by the roadside, earthquakes... It made me smile. YOU made me smile.

Even before we were done with Asasi, you were SO eager to step into the world of Geology. My mum and I still laugh looking back at how you first got to meet my mum. My mum really wanted to have you as a student despite how you seemed to be a bit over-enthusiastic at your first meet. Now she complains about how under-enthusiastic some of her students are. Maybe it's because she met you. Over-enthusiastic Azmi who just couldn't wait for my mum to open the door. Haha. Even Aunty Ros (that's Dr. Ros to the rest of you. Haha) remembers how you were pacing up and down the lecturer's lounge- just looking so nervous.

But you didn't let the jitters get in your way, kan? You hardly do. You may come across cocky and arrogant to some- but that's just you. You never let anything get in your way. You speak your mind. I liked that feature about you. In our friendship, it was like a balance to how I never spoke up about anything and you just kept pushing me forward, telling me to speak up for myself.

You cared for me SO much. I remember when I didn't get any offer to further my studies in a public university. I think you called me up nearly every day asking about it. Asking about what I would do about it. You were worried. For me. When I broke down, you were there to comfort me. You never stopped suggesting things to get me into uni until I got offered. I appreciate it, Azmi. A lot.

"Kirim salam kat your Mum okay?"

I'll never forget how you ended each and every one of our conversations with that exact sentence. (: It kinda became your trademark or something.

Our last meeting?

Remember Geo-Intro? Man, at that time- I was studying (illegally! xD) in UM and I didn't even know about the event until YOU told me. Haha. You sounded excited. You wanted to be the first to arrive and I said "I'm going to be the one setting up the exhibition!" Haha. We didn't meet at the beginning of the event. I saw you by the stairway, in between stations. You and your maroon, velvety jacket! And I grabbed your arm and said "HEY!!! AZMI!" It was brief. But your smile showed how excited you were to see me, how excited you were to just be there in a Geology-themed programme. (:

During the break, during lunch, we talked.

I got bored. Before I head back, I didn't get a chance to see you.

But God knew how this was going to be our last encounter. There you were in the parking lot. Just at the right time. You came by the car window and talked to me and my mum.

"So, bila nak masuk Geology?"
"Lambat lagi, Aunty. Tunggu Asasi habis dulu... InsyaAllah masuk sini."
"Tak apa lambat. Kalau minat ada, InsyaAllah, boleh la tu."

You smiled. We said our goodbyes, not knowing it was going to be our last.

I miss you, Azmi. (:

Here's sending prayers your way. I pray God shields you from any harm, and showers you with His Grace. Amin.

P/S: Happy buka puasa people! Last 10 daaaays! :D

No comments: