February 10, 2015

The Invisible Document.

"How's my favourite brother coping with his doctoral project?" Ryan chimed in the doorway.

Nicky had his earpods in, hidden under a mop of unkempt blond hair that stuck out in odd angles. The music played a little higher than what was socially acceptable (unless your idea of socially acceptable volumes are akin to raves, then it was perfectly fine). Ryan could hear the song word for word, bass thumping loud. Judging from Nicky's static form in front of his laptop, Ryan knew that Nicky had long tuned out the music playing in the background. It was simply on as a barrier between him and the rest of the world. A really, really loud barrier.

Nicky continued to stare down the blank document in front of him. His brows were furrowed in concentration, willing words to fill up the page to no avail. Starting was always hard. Had he had a head-start of some sort, something to build on, he probably would have gotten on with his work. Starting from scratch on the other hand, took a lot of effort on his part. He had the resources. Lots of them. But he had absolutely no idea on how to string them all together. 

It was frustrating. It was torture, not knowing how to do things. Not being able to complete things. It began to feel like he was 6 again, faced with the complexities of a 3000-piece 3D puzzle of the Eiffel Tower (which he completed in a day, by the way. Well, after spending half of the said day crying his eyes out.)

He wished he was more like Ryan. Ryan knew how to let go. Problems did not daze him much. He would toy with the idea for a day (or two, if it interested him) and forget about it if was not worthy of his attention any longer. He skipped classes that were boring, he flunked papers on purpose and tried things just for the sake of trying. However rash his decisions might have been, Ryan did not regret anything he did. Nicky envied him for that. 

The vertical line continued to blink on the left end corner of the page, taunting him.

Nicky let out a breath that he did not even know he was holding and unplugged his earpods. His head now throbbed a little with a steady ringing in his ears after such prolonged exposure to loud music. He shut his eyes and rubbed his temple slowly. He needed a break.

Two strong hands began kneading at his shoulders. Instead of being startled, he gave in completely to the massage, humming happily. "Thanks, Ry."

Ryan smiled. He hated seeing his brother stressed out. 

"So, I see that you have managed to come up with an invisible paragraph once more." he said, pointing at the blank document displayed on the screen. Nicky scoffed and punched his brother playfully. 

"Of course it's invisible. A lot of other researchers could be eyeing my project. Gotta keep in confidential. Only I get to read this, not even my supervisors and their mighty powers could see this document." 

There was an awkward moment of silence, followed by a burst of laughter from both boys.

"PhD has destroyed you, brother mine." Ryan said with a chuckle.

"Not yet. But I'm sure it is. Slowly. Quietly." Nicky admitted quietly.

Ryan pulled Nicky into a hug, holding him tight. Nicky rarely opened up, so he knew better to comfort him in these times that he did. Nicky was always his support, it was time he returned the favour.

"Come on, Nick. Fuck writing. Let's head out for a pint or two."

"Language, Ryan. Language! And we're not going for a drink. It's too early. I still-"

"I was thinking more along the lines of a pint of Ben and Jerry's. But hey, if you want something stronger, who am I to say no?"

Nicky shook his head. He had a ridiculous, foul-mouthed, tattooed young man for a twin brother. But he knew that he would not have him any other way. He shut down his laptop and unplugged it from the power source. The twins got up and made a move for the door. 

"Ryan?"

"Yes, Nick?"

"Thanks. For being here. You always turn up at the right times."

Ryan smiled sheepishly and ran a hand through his raven hair.

"Yeah. About that. Actually... I came by to ask if I could borrow some cash. Because I just came back from the gym and I don't have my wallet on me."

Nicky slapped his forehead.

"You just had to ruin the moment. No worries, I think I have enough to buy us lunch."

"Thanks Nicky! Best brother ever."

 END.

A/N: I always tend to write these things when I'm supposed to be writing something more important. Ry and Nick, oh how I've missed you so. 

No comments: