May 14, 2010

Coffins, anyone?


Yesterday, we head out to THE NATIONAL MUSEUM to check out this coffin exhibition thingamabob. Amir had been going on about it for sometime, it was a random suggestion- but every single time I saw the campaign ad, I'd remember him saying he'd want to check it out sometime. So, out of the blue (not really, took a week of negotiating on when to go) we went lah. Amir, Hilmi, Hariz, Hazim, Huda, Ungku, Marly and I. (:

The exhibits weren't much international, just the Asian-ish burial stuff. It wasn't all gloom and doom either, the lighting was just slightly dimmed and creepy music in the background. Well, we did pay like- RM2 to get in. Wasn't much, so I wasn't exactly hoping for much. xD

At the entrance, there was every single skeletal figure from your Sejarah textbook - Neolitik dudes, the Perak man - buried under rocks in foetal position. xD Like, seriously! It was like a 3D presentation of those black and white pics in the textbook! Hahaha... I felt a surge of Sejarah flowing through my neurons again. (I was surprised that no one remembered Frank Swettenham when we saw his statue at the museum entrance. I must be a geek.)

Further inside the exhibition, there were the traditional Malay burial stuff, and Christian burial coffins (mostly used in Chinese cemeteries too) and there were tree coffins (they literally made a tree-house and campak-ed the mayat up there) , mountain-side burials (HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET THERE?) and people stuffed in tempayans. But the grandest way to die I guess, is in one of these. [Clickety-click!]

Haha, the golden coffin has adjustable beds, factory-tested, 14-karat gold plated AND a limited warranty. The golden coffin on display belonged to a rapper whose name escapes me now.

Can't afford a golden coffin? Get cremated je laaa... xD Then you get to keep your remains in fancy urns.

There were also wooden coffins with tribal carvings and whatnot, but the one that was the most interesting, in my opinion- was the one shaped like a kerbau. Gila style weyh! The Indian coffins scared me (the mannequins were uber scary.) but the worst had to be that chair from the Phillipines where they'd keep the bodies on the chair till they rot to their bones. Only then will they gather the remains, stuff it in a tempayan and bury it. O_o

We head for food later in the evening before heading back.

Thanks guys for the outing! And special thanks to Marly, my driver. (:

P/S: I want to drive too. ): Daddy, I'm coming to get my car this weekend. Ngehehe...

No comments: