So, what have you guys been doing to fill this long period of academic void? I've been in my hometown of Trengganu for the past months to get away from the hectic-ness of KL and its many, many temptations. But I just had to jump on the first bus back to KL when Harry Potter made its debut. Teehee.
My sister is at school most of the time, leaving me home alone. There's a lot of places in Trengganu I'd like to explore, but I don't like being alone on my travels. Plus, any drive that takes over an hour's journey is considered 'far, far away' by my Dad and hence, not within my permissible driving range.
Since I couldn't travel anywhere further than Marang, my travels to explore Trengganu are pretty much limited to the areas of Batu Burok, Losong, Kampung Cina and the occasional trip to the Pasar Kedai Payang. My constant trips to Giant don't count as travelling.
To make up for my lack in travelling and knowledge about my hometown, I decided to indulge in the words of Awang Goneng - A blogger who lived in the old Trengganu; the original Trengganu, when the clock tower stood proud and long before the building of a gazillion 7-11s.
I relived this Trengganu through his books : Growing Up In Trengganu and A Map Of Trengganu; which I read on the sofa by the window-sill (illuminated by whatever little bit of sunlight there was. I didn't like the white pendarflour light. Burns my eyes.) while my grandmother goes on with her house chores.
It was through these books I learnt little bits and pieces about Trengganu's heritage. Food, places, people, everything.
In Growing Up In Trengganu, you can find a picture of this man - Dato' Seri Amar Diraja! Looks like my Dad. I am told that he is my great, great grandfather. Or is it just great grandfather? I need to brush up on my family history. Dum dee dum.
![]() |
| Menteri Besar Terengganu Y.A.B. Dato' Seri Amar Di Raja (Haji Ngah Muhammad bin Yusof, MBE) dari 21.04.1925 - 28.06.1940 (Source: terengganuhebat.blogspot.com) |
![]() |
| My father, Hilmi Hazim Abdul Rahman. Don't you think they look alike? Hahaaa :D |
So, if you're from Trengganu, or planning to visit Trengganu or just plain curious to know more about this land of Keropok Lekor - pick up Awang Goneng's books and dive in to the magical world of Trengganu. (:
[Awang Goneng also blogs @ kecek-kecek.blogspot.com]




No comments:
Post a Comment